SA HIP HOP AWARDS SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN-FOR EVERYONE
SOUTH African Hip Hop Awards submissions for this year’s ceremony are open, and anyone can submit. Even Nasty C.
“There’s no one we actually have a problem with and speaking on the Nasty C issue, we’re still not aware why they chose not to send, but it’s always love. The awards are for the community,” founder and organiser Osmic Menoe says.
Speaking to Tha Bravado, the man known as Ace Of Spades says the air is clear for even those who boycotted the awards in the past. Last year rapper Nasty C snubbed the awards, by not submitting any of his music because he felt unappreciated by the organisers in 2016.
Four years ago, K.O together with his whole CashTime Company pulled the same move, because they felt as though the awards weren’t transparent enough. But K.O has since ironed issues he had with Ritual Media and he submitted last year.
The submissions have been open since Monday and will close in two weeks. “The nominated art form must be released or occur in South Africa”, the press release read. “Any SA Hip Hop album, mixtape, video, event or song that was released, impactful or effective during 15th September 2017 to 15th September 2018.”
The awards are taking place at the Lyric Theare in Gold Reef City for the seventh consecutive time. Those who believe in that number as being a symbol of completion, would suggest that this be their last year hosting at the venue.
Although Ritual Media doesn’t have a contract with the Lyric, it just so happens to be a place that has accommodated the awards. “We have made a home out of the venue, we appreciate the professionalism and love they always show to the awards,” says Osmic.
The awards have settled on an abode to broadcast the ceremony in the SABC 1, after being on e.TV and MTV Base in previous years. “We still with SABC 1 after the good numbers last year of 2 million viewers. We felt at home and appreciated the fact that they were willing to take a chance.”
The awards take place on December 19th